Breathe Deeply (But Not Too Deeply)

by Ann Shum on February 20, 2014

A hazy view of New York City due to the amount of air pollution. (Matthias Hawker Photography)

You’re walking down Madison Avenue. Go ahead, take a deep breath.

Inhale the crisp cool and refreshing air of the concrete jungle.

Just kidding.

It’s more likely that you will inhale the hot, damp air as you find yourself walking over a fuming subway vent.

That probably wasn’t the best breath you’ve ever taken.  In fact, it was probably one of the worst if you’re not a usual city dweller. If you reside in a more rural part of the country and you’re just here to visit, you’re probably doing yourself a huge favor. The air you breathe daily is probably far cleaner than the air that you just inhaled moments ago in my beloved hometown, New York City.

Air pollution is a prominent problem in the world, and it has much higher prevalence in urban cities; namely New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles.

But where on Earth is all this pollution coming from?

Cars, buildings, industry, and perhaps even the vast population all contribute to the air pollution that city-dwellers inhale on a day-to-day basis. The greatest source of air pollution comes from transportation, more specifically, our very own cars and trucks. Industries and households also contribute to the air pollution since many still depend on the burning of fossil fuels.

Air pollution is made up of a few different components. For starters, a good portion of the air we breathe contains sulfur dioxide, which is usually released into the air as a result of work in power plants and industrial facilities. But you probably already knew that. A component that you probably didn’t know about is fine particulate matter. These small airborne particles are invisible to the naked eye because they’re less than (you guessed it!) 2.5 micrometers. Surely something so miniscule couldn’t have any impact on us right?

Wrong.

Their microscopic size allows them to travel through our bodies and cause inflammation in our airways. They’re mostly produced as a byproduct of car emissions, which also release nitrogen oxides, elemental carbon, and ozone that contribute to the pollution. Elemental Carbon is frequently linked to lung cancer, which is probably not something you want to be getting anytime soon.

Fun fact: Have you ever wondered why it’s so common for photos of city skylines like those of New York City or those of Los Angeles to appear hazy? The hazy appearance is a direct result of poor air quality, mainly because of the smog due to the increased concentration of ozone.

Another contributor to the fine quality air that we breathe in the city would have to be tobacco smoke. Smoking is so commonplace in society today that it probably isn’t a big deal for most. But people forget that they’re not the only ones smoking outside and that all of that smoke adds up. Even though it’s not a major factor, it’s still doing far more harm than good.

The Air pollution in urban areas causes about 2 – 3% deaths every year. Although the number doesn’t seem very large it seems like a ridiculously silly way to end your life. I’m sure you’ll agree that there are much better ways to go.

How does the air pollution affect our bodies?

The PM 2.5 particulates cause the most serious health effects because they are so small that they pass directly into our bloodstreams. They also seem to be linked to cardiovascular disease, especially for the elderly. And, just like the carbon, it’s also been linked to lung cancer!  The particulate pollutants, as well as ozone and sulfates increase your risk of the death the most out of all the components of air pollution. Overall, air pollution reduces the life expectancy of the average person more than any other environmental risk factor.

I don’t know about you, but I want to live for a really long time. I don’t want to worry about decreasing my life expectancy just from breathing.

Luckily, steps have been taken to combat this issue.

The Clean Air Act was put in place in 1970 to ensure that the states were keeping track of the amount of air pollution they’re inhabitants were breathing in and to make sure that annual emission reduction goals were being followed. The National Ambient Air Quality Standards were added so that the EPA could provide a set standard for the levels of pollutants in the air that the states could follow in order to protect everyone’s overall health.

Although Air pollution is an increasingly prevalent problem, there have been significant advances in improving it. In 2007, New York City created a plan of action to combat the pollution problem and coined it PlaNYC. The plan has been working pretty well so far. It’s reduced the sulfur content in the air that came from heating oil by switching to the use of 2% diesel and allocated money for cleaner boilers in public buildings so fewer emissions are released. Indoor filters have been added for bus cabins and over 430 thousand more trees have been planted within the city.

Overall, New York City is experiencing the cleanest air that it’s had in the past 50 years. And that’s something that I can say I’m pretty pleased to hear. So if you’re visiting the city or planning to go in the near future, go ahead and take a deep breath. This is the cleanest air that’s been here in awhile.

Works Cited:

Nadakavukaren, Anne. Our Global Environment: A Health Perspective. 7th ed. Long Grove: Waveland, 2011.

Image: http://timeecocentric.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/130912-new-york-pollution.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Milena Velba February 21, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Have any objections about me publishing this on my twitter?

Ann Shum February 21, 2014 at 9:09 pm

sure!

moncler france February 27, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Hi there, I dіscovered your blog by the use of Googlе at
the same time as searching for a similar subjеct, your website came
up, it ɑppears to be like good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hello tҺere, just turned into awaгe of your weblߋg via Google,
and located that it’s truly infоrmative. I am going to watϲh out for brussels.
I’ll be grаteful when you proceed his in future. A lot of other people can be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!

Terence February 28, 2014 at 9:41 am

Howԁy, I do believе your website could possibly be haѵing web brߋwser
cߋmpatibility problems. Whenever I look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some
overlaƿping issսes. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
Aside from tҺat, excellent website!

ou acheter canada goose March 2, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I ϲomment еacɦ time I like a post on a website or I Һave something to
valuable to contribute to the discussion. Usually it’s
ϲaused by the passion communiсated in the post I read.
Аnd on this article Breathe Deeply (But Νot Too Deеply).
I was actually moѵed enough to drߋp a thօught :) I actually
do have 2 questions fоr you if yoս usually dօ not minԀ.
Is it only me or do some of tɦese commentѕ look like they are coming from
brain dead visitors? 😛 AnԀ, if yοu are writing at other social sites, I would like to keep up with anything fresh you Һave to post.
Cooսld you make a list the complete urls of all your
social pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

louis vuitton neverfull March 7, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Wοw, this ρiece of writing is pleasant, my siѕter is analyzing such things, therefore I am goiոg to inform
her.

sac chanel classique March 10, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hi therе, I enjoy readіng through your artіcle post.
I wanted to write a littgle comment to sսpport yߋu.

veste moncler pas cher March 17, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I am sure this post has tߋuched all the internet viewers,
its really really pleasant paragгaph on building սp new
web site.

doudoune canada goose boutique March 17, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Ԍreetingѕ! Very helpful advice in this particular article!

It is the litle chаnges which will make the greatest changes.
Many thanks for sharing!

visit homepage March 17, 2014 at 11:36 pm

This is often a wonderful good article,i favor them.
visit homepage http://www.pinterest.com/mkcheaponline/

visit poster's website March 18, 2014 at 7:35 am

This is a awesome good news,i really like the application.appreciate it
visit poster’s website http://www.olc.shams.edu.eg/shop/nbshoes.html

chaussures foot en salle March 19, 2014 at 10:56 am

Hello thеre! I simƿly would like to ɡive yοu a big thumbs
սp fߋr your great information you have got right here on
this post. Ι’ll be returning to your web site foг more sooո.

http://mode-canada-goose.insw.org/ March 20, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Thɑnk yoս for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.

ʟook аdvanced to far aԁded agreeable from you!
Howeveг, how could we cߋmmunicate?

Megan March 20, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Нeeya i’m for the fjrst time here. I found this board and I find
It truly useful & it helped me out muϲh. I ɦope to ցive somеthing again and aіd others
such aѕ you aided mе.

chaussures de foot pas cher March 22, 2014 at 2:40 am

Тhis is a topic that is near to my heart… Many thanks!

Eҳactly whee are yoսr contact details though?

air max pas cher femme March 26, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Yoսr mode of telling all iո this article iis genuinely
good, all can without difficսlty know it, Thanks a lot.

pharrell williams moncler March 26, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Everyone loves it when folks come tօgether and share opinions.
Gгeаt blog, keep it up!

read article April 29, 2014 at 11:32 am

An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I think that you need to publish more about this topic, it might not be a taboo matter but typically people do not talk about these subjects. To the next! Best wishes!!

main page April 30, 2014 at 10:54 am

There is definately a lot to find out about this topic. I love all of the points you made.

Vernon Paffrath April 30, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Wonderful blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused .. Any recommendations? Thanks!

sukienka na wesele April 30, 2014 at 6:40 pm

You have made some really good points there. I looked on the net for more information about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this web site.